Return Policy

Forum rules
Simple rules here. NO personal threats and NO last names (i.e. Joe S. = ok, Joe Schmo = no go).

Return Policy

Postby ralphievu » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:32 pm

Tried to return an item I purchased using gift card and cash. Because I used gift card and cash, they required ID and wanted to enter my drivers license number into their system. I objected since they could not tell me why they needed it, only that the "system" required it. They did not know what the system did with the information or if it was even secure or protected. So rather than return the $8.00 item and continue with my plans to buy a new lawn mower, I left and went to Lowe's. I will never again shop at Home Depot. They have terrible customer service skills.
ralphievu

Re: Return Policy

Postby hd sux! » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:44 pm

:evil: fuck home depot
hd sux!

Postby guest » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:33 am

It is insane that you did have the receipt and they "carded" you...did you ask for a manager when you asked where your information goes in their system? If you asked a returns person or a head cashier they won't be able to tell you because the stupid HD management will not give them an honest answer. I would have asked for their customer service number in Atlanta to get an answer from them.

And if you have a reciept that is over three months old (and this is considered expired), they will ask for your ID. At least you will receive a store credit for the full price you paid for your item (s).

No receipt they will give you a store credit with ID but will be for the lowest selling price.

It could be worse, go to Target with an expired receipt or no receipt and they will tell you to your face sorry can't help you...Walmart no receipt for so many items they will "lock you out" of returning for at least a couple months. HD will do this too, but if you've ever been in line to return an item and see crack-heads and drunks returning small, high ticket items, then you will know why HD put this policy in place. I asked a returns person one time about shady returns and he told me that the crack-heads/drunks will return items and go right out the door and sometimes will try and sell the store card to people coming into the store for just a fraction of what the value of the card is worth. And he said that on EBay people are selling store credits and will show the receipts of the item returned...again all high ticket items, but small enough to fit into a purse or coat pocket.

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:46 am

The reason you are asked for an ID its because you paid with a gift card the register will issue the refund in the original form of payment, now with that being a gift card or store credit like it explains in previous posts because of those fraudulent returns it keeps history of how many returns the person with that ID number has made after so many it send a red flag to the system saying that this could be one of those fraudulent returns. A person at the returns desk should know this but that is lack of training

Postby Erick » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:03 pm

I recently returned a plant that died. Since it was past 90 days they issued me a store credit for about $10. I later used the store credit towards a purchase of $200. I didn't use all the material and a few days later tried to return $40 of the material. My return was denied. They said that since I used store credit the system denied the return. No one in the store could explain why. I was given an 800 number to call. I called the 800 number, was on the phone waiting for 1 hour, then finally after 1 hour wait I got a voice recording asking me to leave a message with the details regarding the deny.

So, $190 was put on my credit card. $10 was store credit. I want to return $40 and I'm denied. This is insane. Even the manager, who can not override the system, could not understand how a $10 store credit would block a return since clearly 95% of my purchase was put on a credit card. Common since would have allow me to return the first $190 back on my credit card before ever considering the use of a a $10 store credit.

I had my drivers license, original receipt, credit card, and none of the items were ever opened. I wasted time going to the store, standing in line, calling 800 number and could not get my money back. The whole reason for going to home depot is to save a few dollars. However, my time and gas end up costing more than I saved had a just went to a local hardware store or Lowes or Orchard. I understand they are trying to prevent fraud but my case is insane. I think HD is using a few fraud cases to make it difficult and frustrating for ALL returns. They like you to buy but hate for you to return. This really sucks because I usually buy more than I need because I don't want to fall short of materials while performing a repair. I'd much rather return (later) any unused materials.
Erick

Postby scott » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:25 am

The reason they ask for an ID is because people steal from the Home Depot all the time and return stolen products for actual physical money. Without the receipt the people stealing are inputted in the system via their ID code so when it continues to happen they aren't approved to return any more products. It's to prevent fraud basically.
scott

Postby MSQ » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:52 pm

"Denied" message only comes up when you return a TON of stuff with no receipt. That is why they enter your id every time you return with a store credit. They are tracking returns with no receipts. Here's a good idea, save your receipts or put it on a credit card. We have some of the most lenient return policies around.
MSQ

Postby get a life » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:10 am

home depots policy is you have to swipe the drivers liscense to do a refund a co worker of mine was just fired for just typing in the drivers liscense # instead of swiping and now the home depot legal sent her a letter saying they incurred a loss and added 250.00 and are trying to sue her for over 600.00 total bull i let her know that is illegal and dont pay. what a company ive been there many years and the day i get a new job im looking now i will leave with no warning or notice whatsoever
get a life

Postby HDX » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:56 am

get a life wrote:home depots policy is you have to swipe the drivers liscense to do a refund a co worker of mine was just fired for just typing in the drivers liscense # instead of swiping and now the home depot legal sent her a letter saying they incurred a loss and added 250.00 and are trying to sue her for over 600.00 total bull i let her know that is illegal and dont pay. what a company ive been there many years and the day i get a new job im looking now i will leave with no warning or notice whatsoever

Huh? What are you talking about? Swiping the driver's license?
HDX

Postby guest » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:56 pm

On the back of most drivers lisceses there is a magnetic strip just like a credit card that can be swiped through the reader just like a credit card...only thing is it doesnt always work and needs to be typed in, not every cashier knows this,

Next

Return to Home Depot Horror Stories (Customers)