Veterans Discount Scam

Forum rules
Simple rules here. NO personal threats and NO last names (i.e. Joe S. = ok, Joe Schmo = no go).

Re: Veterans Discount Scam

Postby Guest » Sun May 13, 2012 10:32 am

The Truth wrote:
Me wrote:So let me see if I have this right. You served in the military and now you feel you should get 10% off all the time? Do grocery store offer discounts to military? No.....does wal-mart offer discounts? No... Does any store in the mall offer 10% off? No.....let me guess, you're a contractor and thousands year there right? Well, I served in the military for 6 years, come bid the work at my house that I need done.....and before you give me the estimate, knock 10% off just because I served. Let me guess you won't do it will you? So stop griping about $3.50 that you aren't saving, because guess what JACKASS you Re passing that on to your customers are you? Have good night.

This post perfectly sums up Home Depot's attitude on the subject of Veteran's discounts... In every conference call or meeting I have participated in when this topic has been discussed, the only reason the discount is given is because Lowe's or another competitor gives the discount. In no way is Home Depot giving the discount to thank Veterans.

This--- "In every conference call or meeting I have participated in when this topic has been discussed, the only reason the discount is given is because Lowe's or another competitor gives the discount. In no way is Home Depot giving the discount to thank Veterans".

This is 100% true. This company is pathetic.

:!:

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:34 pm

Vet wrote:I don't think this is a scam, this is seperating the 'veterans' who... congratulations... went to boot camp and came back, and the veterans who actually served. The veterans who spent 20 years in, the veterans who are currently spending their time serving the country, and the veterans, who, like my husband were SHOT OVER SEAS! Call me old fashioned, but I would say anyone with a purple heart deserves a discount more than someone who spent just 8 weeks away from their family. I appreciate all veterans who have served, but it really gets under my skin that someone who almost had their nuts shot off doesnt like to ask for a discount, and someone who has never left the country or been in combat thinks that everyone should walk the ground they walk on. Many companies don't even give any military discount, most mom and pop stores dont, and many other corporations would laugh in your face if you asked for it. PS, if you would actually know what your country gives to you after serving, you would know that you could technically be a disabled veteran for your ears ringing. you can claim 0%-10% disability for that. and, you could then get your discount at home depot with your 'service connected' va card. you're welcome.

If you are a vet then you should know that just being away for 8 weeks does not a veteran make. Is it our fault that we weren't enlisted during war time? Do you think we are any less veteran than you? I volunteered to go but my mos wasn't needed and I didn't get called. Darn...wish I was a real vet that got shot at. Do you look down on all the "faux vets" at your American Legion meetings too? Sad

Postby Dr. Professor » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm 60% disabled and employed by the DoD. I have my disabled Vet card from the VA and a CAC. Yes, I take the discount. I just bought carpet for my home and took the discount. I bought a washer and dryer and took the discount. I bought a dehumidifier and took the discount. I used gift cards for Home Depot from the grocery store and got free gas. I live every day in pain. I broke my neck and damaged my spine and shoulders while on patrol. I'll eventually retire and because of the disability payments, I'll make more than while employed. So, join the military. Get so injured that you can't do any physical work. Attend college so you're qualified for a desk job. And then you too can get your 10% off. Believe me, it ain't worth it.
Dr. Professor

Postby Dr. Professor » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:37 pm

I'm 60% disabled and employed by the DoD. I have my disabled Vet card from the VA and a CAC. Yes, I take the discount. I just bought carpet for my home and took the discount. I bought a washer and dryer and took the discount. I bought a dehumidifier and took the discount. I used gift cards for Home Depot from the grocery store and got free gas. I live every day in pain. I broke my neck and damaged my spine and shoulders while on patrol. I'll eventually retire and because of the disability payments, I'll make more than while employed. So, join the military. Get so injured that you can't do any physical work. Attend college so you're qualified for a desk job. And then you too can get your 10% off. Believe me, it ain't worth it.
Dr. Professor

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:26 pm

I am a vet from 1970 with a va card and they want give me a discount.

Postby guest in CA » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:13 pm

You have to be active, retired or disabled from the military to get the discount all the time. On all patriotic holidays, HD will honor the discount if you were not a "career" vet. They don't give me the discount either, even though I was in for 4 years and am partially disabled.
guest in CA

Postby uknown » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:25 pm

I worked for HD for many years and they said people were abusing the system.... I dont think they were I think Home Depot is just trying to save money. I was a key carrier and if you had any type of paper saying you are in or were in service I would give the discount. I didnt think it was right what they did.
uknown

Postby scott » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:28 am

You should be grateful any discount is given and see it as a gift, not a God-given right.

The reason the cashiers don't care is simple: give a 10 percent discount to a customer or refuse, have the customer yell at the cashier, the manager intervenes and tells the cashier that he is wrong, and then gives the discount anyway. The issue is more or less management and customers who feel entitled to things. No one even asks for the discount (just out of politeness). People demand it.
scott

Postby get a ife » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:18 am

it is not a veterans discount it is a military discount for active, retired. guard or reserve and dependents, veterans get it 4 days a year memorial day, veterans day, july 4th and labor day. its for people who are actively serving or country now. not every veteran every day so get over it already, and quit trying to scam home depot
get a ife

Postby Retired Navy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:39 pm

I love the military discount, and I think their policy is spot on!!! If your short time in the service doesn't allow you to shop at the commissary or the exchange or utilize services on base, or even allow you on base, after you get out, then why do you think Home Depot or any place of business owes you a discount? Also, the military discount should and I repeat, should only be given to the military, not civilian people associated with the military!!!!!
Retired Navy

PreviousNext

Return to Home Depot Horror Stories (Customers)